MRAN MEETING MINUTES Sept. (August 28, 2017)

Meeting brought to order by: Sean McDaniel @ 7:07pm

ROLL

Bushwackers – 2

Coyotees – 0

Darkside – 0

Gamblers – 2                     

Groundshakers – 2          

Jackrabbits – 1

SSTB – 2

SNDR – 0

Wild Bunch – 2

Yucca Chuckers – 0

Aug. meeting minutes approved by: Bob Adams

2nd by: Justin Wray

 

OFFICER REPORT

President: Sean McDaniel –

                Pretty quiet.

Problems with email and is working with Justin Wray

 

Vice President: Justin Wray –

                EnduroX – Dave Martin and Ashley Ross sent up a booth to help promote MRAN with the help from Justin Wray and Sean McDaniel. No MRANers made the night show. Destry Abbot won the Casey Folks Vet Cup.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Treasurer: Coach Collins-

Went over the accounts monies.

Two more payments were made towards insurance.

Blank Monk was paid for the speed limit signage.

Treasurer Report approved by Dave Martin, 2nd by Ashley Ross

 

Desert Referee: Shaun Rupp –

Points – Need club rosters from the clubs showing what racers have helped at your races.

 

Grand Prix Referee: Tony Thurlow –

All Good

Jackrabbits Iron Mine Grand Prix is coming up.

 

Web Site – Justin Wray

Site is good

Emails are fixed

Fixes to rule book

 

Public Relations – Ashley Ross –

                EnduroX – made lots of new contacts. We need to advertise more. It’s amazing how many people haven’t heard of MRAN.

Clubs NEED to send in their race flyers to the competition committee for approval before they are posted.

 

Land Use: Bob Adams –

 

MRAN SEPT. (170828) LU REPORT A.pdf3/ 5

 

LAND USE REPORT, SEPT. MEETING held 170828, by Bob Adams

 

  1. Lincoln County Round 11 Archeological Project: We must stay involved to be seen

as a stakeholder.

 

  1. Lincoln County Oil and Gas Drilling leases: The preliminary EA is available for public

review at

http://bit.ly/2vH21Ix.  Interested individuals should address all written

comments to the BLM Caliente Field Office, PO Box 237, Caliente, NV 89008, Attn:

Dec. 2017 O&G Lease Sale or fax them to the Caliente Office at (775) 726-8111.

Comments may also be submitted electronically with the subject, “ATTN: 2017 Oil &

Gas Lease Sale” to blm_nv_ely_oil_and_gas2017@blm.gov.  Again, we must be at the

table for our concerns to be considered.

 

  1. Adopt an Area: I’ve worked to convince MRAN to adopt an area for 2 years.  This is

a close as we’ve gotten.  A caution is making a commitment right now is the

Competition Committee will soon be preoccupied with the schedule and rule changes.

This is a big commitment.  It’s a long term commitment.  And there’s structure and an

organizational chart that should be in place before we proceed.  Our meeting just once

month, what could be done in a week, can take months.  Who will step up?  Project

leader?  Group leaders?  Volunteers?   An accountant to record hours and other in-kind

donations?   There’s proven organization examples.  Parameters are in past Land Use

 

  • This should be an item on the meeting agenda, the first possible decision

being to delay or proceed now.

 

  1. Obama Monuments Comments: President Trump’s call for comments on the Obama

monuments was for political cover removing his predecessor’s presidential

proclamations.  Unfortunately, 90% of the comments support keeping the monuments.

DOI Secretary Zinke’s recommendation is elimination of none.  Only change Zinke

recommended is downsizing just 3 of the 27 Obama monuments.  The anti-accessers

won, but they’re still mad as hell.   They didn’t get everything.  They’re confident feeling

the power of their issue advocacy.  They want all presidential monument proclamations

to be irrevocable, and they want further permanent restrictions on what’s allowed in

monuments.

Each of us are a part of the issue advocacy drive-train, just like the drive chain

between an engine and a wheel.  Maybe a clutch is a better analogy.  A slipping clutch

gets some drive power thru.  But it delivers only a fraction of the power it could, and

destroys itself doing it.  Many who work hard to make a difference burn out when we

lose what we could have won if more of us had stepped up.   We have the tools to make

a difference.  But we don’t use them.  We lose because we don’t use them.  Then we

blame the tools.

 

Reasons riders give for not commenting:

  • We don’t believe we can do anything to fix what they’re complaining about.  Not

believing we can make a difference is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

  1. I don’t know the issues in time to do anything about them. Actions Alerts put issues

to your Inbox.  It’s a tool if we don’t pick it up, it doesn’t work.

  1. I don’t have the time, the job, the kids, etc. You’re doing this for your kids.  Letter

Generators take 3 minutes first time, 30 seconds per comment thereafter.

If you don’t comment or know friends that don’t, Please, make list of excuses on

a scratch pad or memo in your cell phone.  There’s enough of us to make a difference if

most of us are willing to step to make it happen.

 

  1. Bikes for Beef Tariff: Europeans aren’t eating enough US beef.  A proposal to

punish Europeans is to double the price of 50 to 500cc European motorcycles sold in

the US.  The linkage of bikes to beef is absurd and unfair.  If there were a link, why

wouldn’t it apply to all European motorcycles?  This tariff will hurt American dirt bike

riders more than it hurts Europeans.  But only 2500 comments have been received

against it.  On a national issue, 2500 comment is a drop in a big bucket that doesn’t

make a difference.  What’s at stake and the number of us directly affected, there should

be 250,000 comments.  If the parameters of the outrageous penalty were based on race

or gender instead of motorcycle engine size, there’d be a million people in the streets.

The article from last month’s American Motorcyclist is below.  Please read it if you

haven’t already.

I’m available for your questions and comments at radams@racemran.com

 

We need to come up with a way to make voting easier on issues we need to vote on.

We voted on an area for us to adopt. Choices are Apex, Jean, or Nelson Hills

Jean 11 votes, Nelson 4, Apex 1. Jean won the vote.

 

Scoring – Coach –

                 All good.

 

 

SPECIAL REPORTS

 

August 12th – SSTB Desert post race report – Coach Collins

                289 entries, 106 where MRAN racers.Couple injuries. Had to change start area due to the weather that came in.

 

September 16th – Bushwackers pre race report – Nick Tarin

                Flyer is posted

GPS Condenses are wrong

Exit between mile marks 124/125

 

September 23rd – Jackrabbits pre race report

                Correct flyer will be posted this weekend.

 

Unfinished Business

2018 tentative race dates

Jan.

6th – Banquet

20th – Gamblers Desert

Feb

10th – Darkside Desert

March

10th – Groundshakers GP

April

7th – Wild Bunch GP

28th – Groundshakers Desert

May

19th – SSTB

June

2nd – Coyotes Desert

9th – Wild Bunch Night

23rd – MRAN Night

July

7th – Gamblers Night

20th & 21st – Bushwackers Night

Aug

4th – SSTB Night

25th SSTB Desert

Sept.

15th – Bushwackers Desert

22nd – Jackrabbits GP

Oct

27th – Wild Bunch Desert

Nov

10th?/17th? – Darkside Desert

Dec

 

Rules submitted for review

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

Riders exceeding the speed limit in the pits will receive the following penalties:

** Note this is on per race basis **

  • 1st infraction – 2 minutes
  • 2nd infraction – 5 minutes
  • 3rd infraction – 10 minutes
  • 4th infraction – disqualification

Purpose of New Rule:

To create a safe environment in the pits

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 6 Appendix L

  1. The pitting area must be well marked and safe. It is recommended that the pits be at least 5 feet from the course, of that speed restrictions and no passing rules be used when it is not possible to separate the pits form the racecourse. It is mandatory– subject to disqualification—riders, DO NOT GO BACKWARDSIN THE PITS. The sponsoring club will be responsible for monitoring pit areas and will disqualify violators. Alternate pits that are more that one hundred (100) yards away from the main pit boundaries will not be subject to the above rules unless the sponsoring club deems necessary.

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

 

 

 

 

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

When there is a designated race lane and put lane you must use the pit lane to receive any assistance during the race.

Purpose of New Rule:

To promote safety and keep people off a live race course.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 6 Appendix L

  1. The pitting area must be well marked and safe. It is recommended that the pits be at least 5 feet from the course or that speed restrictions and no passing rules be used when it is not possible to separate the pits from the racecourse. It is mandatory –subject to disqualification—riders, DO NOT GO BACKWARDS IN THE PITS. The sponsoring club will be responsible for monitoring pit areas and will disqualify violators. Alternate pits that are more than one hundred (100) yards away from the main pit boundaries will not be subject to the above rules unless the sponsoring club deems necessary.

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

 

 

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

Riders not having the required USFS approved spark arrestor will be disqualified from the event.

Purpose of New Rule:

To discourage riders from not using a spark arrestor and lessening the threat of fires.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 19 Appendix G

  1. USFS approved Spark Arrestors will be mandatory on all race vehicles for events held on city, county or public lands. (USFS and BLM). Spark Arrestors ARE NOT mandatory on race vehicles for races of any kind that are help exclusively on private owned lands unless requested by the land owner or the sponsoring club.

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

 

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

  • AA will start on first banner
  • Experts will start on second banner
  • Amateur will start on third banner
  • Novice will start on fourth banner

Purpose of New Rule:

Clarification as rule doesn’t not include the AA class

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 20 Appendix B

  1. Experts will start on the first banner, Amateurs on second, and novice on third. Promoting club may have additional starts, but not less than three (3). If the promoting club chooses o have additional starts, (other than mass start by class), the race will be classified as a timed event. Timed events can have live engine starts.

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

 

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers`

Proposed New Rule:

Any rider/passenger caught not wearing a helmet while vehicle is in motion will be required to report the host clubs president to help with the race clean up for one hour. If this person is a member of the hosting club, they must help with the next scheduled race. `

Purpose of New Rule:

To promote safety

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 19 Appendix A

Motorcycle helmets will be worn (protective gear such as shin guards, chest protectors, gloves, are recommended) by both rider and/or passenger anytime the motorcycle is set in motion. Boot (extending above the ankles), goggles, and/or face shield will be worn by all riders.

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

 

 

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

Once a rider has left the pits to continue on their next lap they will not be allowed to return to the pits for assistance and the return to the race.

Purpose of New Rule:

To promote safety and keep from going backwards on the course to fix bikes.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 9 Appendix E

  1. Riders that break down o race course and do not cross the finish line will be scored as a DNF. (example: rider by passed the minimum lap chute and attempts another lap and breaks down, rider receives DNF). MRAN clubs shall not allow any riders in a specified class/division to continue to race after they have completed their designated laps (example: novice riders designated at riders meeting/flyer to finish race after 1 lap, will not be allowed to continue a second lap for any reason).

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

Remove current point system as it was not written and submitted per the rule book requirements and reinstate the former point system.

Purpose of New Rule:

To implement the rules and return the point system back to what the riders can easily understand.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 24 and Article 5 Section 9

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

Event flyers must be posted on www.racemran.com (via website administrator) the day after the race that precedes that clubs race.

Purpose of New Rule:

Allow for adequate time for race promotion also it would allow racers to see the flyer at the same time they are logging onto the website to check the points after a race.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 17 Appendix D

  1. Event flers for the event must be posted on WWW.Racemran.com (via website administrator) at least fourteen (14) days prior to the event. Failure to comply with these rules will result in a fine of seventy-five ($75.00) plus five ($5.00) a day for each day that event flyer are late.

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

On a dead engine start if a rider has their engine running before the banner drop they will be assessed a 5 min penalty.

Purpose of New Rule:

To help eliminate cheating

To bring consistency to MRAN

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Seciton 20 Appendix A or B

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

 

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

The finish line / checkered flag will be placed before the entrance of the scoring chute.

Purpose of New Rule:

Safety for the race officials, scoring officials and spectators.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 6

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

Remove the Amateur and novice champions and return to having one champion per division.

Purpose of New Rule:

To make scoring simpler and make the cost of trophies less.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Could not find in the rule book

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

  1. Proposed by: Groundshakers

Proposed New Rule:

Riders caught outside of the 10 feet rule will be assessed a five minute penalty

Purpose of New Rule:

To discourage course cutting and keep riders on the designated course and discourage free riding that could cause future issues with permitting.

Affected Sections of Rule Book:

Article 5 Section 6 Appendix G and H

  1. An open course usually has no defined side marking. Riding within approximately 10 feet of either side of the marked course is allowed unless defined marking exist (i.e. banners at checks, turns, or hazards). Roads keep trail, ETC, within allowed twenty ten feet maybe be used unless specifically prohibited at the riders meeting. Tighter restrictions can be imposed (especially by the landowner) however, the sponsoring blub must announce these restrictions at the riders meeting.
  2. A closed course is a course with defined markings on each side (i.e. banners, hay bales, tires, or edges of roads). Where defined marking do not exist, riders must remain within 10 feet of either side of the marked course. Tighter restrictions can be imposed (especially by the landowner) however the sponsoring club must announce these restrictions at the riders meeting.

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

Rules change submitted by Bob Adams

Proposed by:  Robert Adams

 

Proposed New Rule: AGENDA POSTING DEADLINE.  Please read text from Rule

Book below.  RED is proposed deleted language.  BLUE is proposed language

additions/changes.

 

From Article 2, Section 2.

 

PRESIDENT:

  1. Oversee day to day operations of MRAN Business.
  2. Monthly Meeting Agendas; organize and run the Monthly MRAN Meetings.

2a.  Meeting agendas must be posted on the MRAN website a minimum of 5

days before the next meeting, i.e., posted by 7pm the Wednesday before

a 7pm meeting next Monday.  To be worked out; could President post

directly to website -v- timeline for handoff to Web Administrator.

2b. No action can be taken on items not on the posted agenda, or on any

items if the agenda is not posted before the deadline.

 

  1. Call special meetings if needed. Etc
  2. Cast Tie breaker vote. (See rule book).
  3. Collect list at the beginning of the season of all Clubs’ voting members (2) and

alternates (2).

  1. Conduct MRAN Business with Public Entities and Private Business’s. Maintain

these relations.

  1. Assist Card-Holding Members/Member clubs with any problem that may occur

during the race season.

  1. Coordinate with other racing organizations to prevent scheduling conflicts and

promote joint ventures if possible.

  1. Represent MRAN at Official Land Use Meetings

RC, Agenda Posting Deadline 170925

  1. Represent MRAN Clubs regarding permit issues at the BLM office in the

Clubs absence.

  1. Organize Year End Awards Banquet.
  2. Promote teamwork and maintain sportsmanship with their fellow officers by

working together

  1. Lead by example while in the public of MRAN Clubs, Members and Riders to

promote sportsmanship throughout.

 

Purpose of New Rule:   Representative government works only when citizens

know what’s being decided before it’s decided.  MRAN’s Competition Committee

is MRAN’s representative government.  Posting agendas Wednesday evening

gives all members time to download and read before the rush out the door

Friday.  By meeting information being distributed well before the meeting,

committee members come to the meeting prepared for discussions.

 

Affected Sections of Rule Book:  Art. 2, Sec. 2., 2017 MRAN Rule Book V2

 

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules

relative to such change if approved.

 

Rule Change submitted by Dustin Vasquez

  1. Proposed by: Dustin Vasquez

 

Proposed New Rule:  Night Race Series only, the length of races be determined by length of time rather than number of laps completed by the leader

 

Purpose of New Rule:  When using number of laps completed by the leader as finish of race, the finish may occur with time remaining to complete another lap(s).

 

Affected Sections of Rule Book   Art. 6, RACE SETUP/LOGISTICS, PARAGRAPH 3

 

Proposed changes must include the section of the rulebook to which they pertain, and the affect it will have on other rules relative to such change if approved.

New Business

                Joe Amey suggested we help SND to do whatever it takes for them to stay an active club.

 

 

 

Motion to Adjourn the September 2017 MRAN Meeting by: Joe Amey

2nd by: Coach Collins @10:01pm

 

Next MRAN Meeting on October 2, 2017 @ 7:00pm

Sierra Gold, 6515 S. Jones Blvd., Las Vegas, Nevada 89118.

Upstairs in meeting room.

 

Recent Posts